Join the Black to the Future Action Fund Team
The Black to the Future Action Fund is a 501(c)4 organization that transforms Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems Black communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. The Black to the Future Action Fund combines strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level to implement those alternatives.
The Policy Director works closely with the Principal and the Political Director, alongside our partner organizations, to maximize our presence and impact in moving our agenda at the national and state levels. The Policy Director will develop, lead, and implement our strategy with Congress, the Executive Branch, and national, state and regional allies in service of our agenda. This position will work in close coordination and collaboration with grassroots partner organizations across the country.
This position also supports the Black Futures Lab, an affiliated 501(c)3 education organization. While motivated by the same values, these organizations operate independently of each other and each organization has its own governing board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership, along with other staff and partner organizations, in the development and implementation of policy priorities and strategy
- Position Black to the Future Action Fund, our partners, and our agenda strategically and powerfully in Washington DC, with policymakers and influencers
- Collaborate with Principal and Political Director in building powerful relationships with key policymakers and influencers in service of our agenda
- Manage the Black to the Future Public Policy Institute, ensuring that we build the capacity of our communities to write, win and implement policy in cities and states
- Oversee and support policy campaigns designed in the Black to the Future Public Policy Institute, and help lead them to fruition
- Provide reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on relevant legislative activities at the national level
- Develop and disseminate materials regarding legislative developments to national partners, policy makers and the media
- Conduct or commission research as necessary
- Build and maintain strong relationships with partner organizations
- Extensive experience in a leadership role in representing an organization on issues of importance to Black communities
- Established relationships with federal and state policy makers, and with social change organizations
- Extensive knowledge of legislative and administrative processes.
- Ability to design, manage, and implement strategy
- Understanding of and commitment to social change through building the capacity and power of low-income people and people of color to change their communities and to participate directly in changing public policies.
- Demonstrated commitment to community organizing and ability to work constructively with grassroots partners.
- Excellent advocacy, consensus-building, coalition-building, and leadership skills; demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with other staff and other organizations; demonstrated ability to work with groups and individuals across the political spectrum.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; experience as a public spokesperson and advocate; ability to analyze and articulate legal concepts and other complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences; a “quick study” on a dynamic array of issues.
- A broad understanding of federal policies that pertain to Black communities is required
- The ability to produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- Experience effectively supervising and developing staff.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to adjust to frequently changing demands.
- Ability to build, lead, and manage a team
- Ability to build relationships with relevant policy partners (government, policy shops, academic institutions, etc).
- Experience analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory language.
- Commitment to social change through building the capacity and power of Black communities to change their communities and to participate directly in changing public policies.
- Ability to work long hours, nights, and weekends
- Ability to be available via text and phone to problem solve urgent concerns as they arise
- Due to concerns related to COVID-19, this position will function as remote until further notice. Preference will be given to candidates who live in Washington DC.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is $90,000 – $100,000. Black to the Future Action Fund offers comprehensive benefits packages including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance and other resources to support a centered, healthy quality of life for staff and their families.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and (3) references in pdf format only to email@example.com