Join the Black to the Future Action Fund Team
Field Canvasser (LA)
Black to the Future Action Fund is a 501(c)4 that works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We build capacity for communities to develop and implement solutions to our challenges and exercise full control over what happens in our communities. We advance policies that will improve the lives of Black people and strive to get Black candidates elected who share our values and will fight to enact policies that allow all Black families to thrive.
Black to the Future Action Fund is partnering with the Front Woman to engage Black voters in Louisiana. The Front Woman represents the many Black women that work in politics behind the scenes. They specialize in voter education, engagement, and turnout. Since their founding in 2020, they have won seven judicial races, two state legislative races, and won the race for Louisiana’s 2nd congressional district with Congressman Troy Carter. The Front Wman has also participated in outreach and education efforts around reproductive rights and Covid-19 related issues.
The Field Canvasser will be carrying out the work of the Black to the Future Action Fund and will be supervised by the team at The Front Woman.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canvassers will join us in building Black political power and mobilizing Black voters. We will connect with voters at their doors, at festivals, during community events, and via phone calls and text messages. We will engage with voters to learn what issues they find important. We will also activate Black voters to cast their ballots for candidates who prioritize the issues that matter most to Black communities. This position will give canvassers the opportunity to further develop their communication and leadership skills. Canvassers will participate in a comprehensive, paid training program that will fully equip them to succeed in this position and beyond.
Field Canvasser (Monroe/Shreveport, Louisiana):
- Pay: $22/hour. The pay for this position is $22 per hour. A mobile stipend will be provided for individuals who use their personal phone devices, and a travel stipend for drivers. This position does not include any additional benefits outside of those required by law.
- Time commitment: Up to 25 hours per week
- Position type: This position is part-time, temporary, and non-exempt.
- Location: Monroe/Shreveport, LA
- Start Date: August 21, 2023
- End Date: On or around November 10, 2023
- Potential to work on future projects
Core Responsibilities (Primary duties – not an all-inclusive list)
- Deep Canvassing (August – September)
- Talk with the local Black community members about important issues they face and how it impacts their daily lives
- Educate Black voters on the importance of voting in local elections
- Electoral/GOTV Canvassing (October – November)
- Talk with Black voters about important issues in our community and how local elections impact those issues.
- Relay accurate information to voters about absentee, early, and Election Day voting
- Quickly build connections with voters so they feel comfortable expressing their honest opinions
- Mobilize Black voters to turn out for the municipal election.
- Reporting Data
- Accurately track and record survey responses/notes daily of each interaction with a voter and or visit to a door in our voter database (MiniVAN)
- Training and Development
- Fully participate in initial training and ongoing activities designed to improve canvassing skills and maximize the team’s effectiveness and morale
- Ability to relate to and connect with Black communities from varying backgrounds
- Prompt and punctual attendance is expected for all appointments and shifts
- Excellent communication and listening skills and ability to effectively work with and relate to a wide range of individuals
- Independent and hard-working; could remain motivated even when faced with challenges
- Flexible, eager to grow, learn, and adapt to feedback
- Committed to social justice
- Must be able to stretch, bend, kneel, twist, squat, reach above or below the shoulder, push, grasp, and lift up to 20 pounds. Able to walk, drive, write, stand, and sit.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends
- No prior canvassing experience is required, but at least one year of experience in a role requiring regular contact with the public is preferred
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required
- Personal vehicle preferred but not required
- No formal education is required
- Fully participate in orientation and training
- Since this is a short and extremely important campaign, must commit to working every shift in its entirety
- Convey message to voters that is consistent with provided script
- Enter accurate and complete data into voter database (MiniVAN) daily
- Meet individual knock and contact goals
- Access to a cell phone that is compatible with voter database (MiniVAN)
- Reliable transportation to the designated pre-canvass meetup location
- Must adhere to strict COVID and safety protocols
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required for drivers
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Black to the Future Action Fund contracts with Resilient Strategies LLC for backend and operational support including hiring and employment. Resilient Strategies is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.