Tell Congress: Strengthen the HEROES Act by Adopting our Covid-19 Relief and Recovery Plan for Black America NOW!
As millions across this country take to the streets to demand an end to police terror against Black people, the Rona continues to devastate many of our communities. We are infected at higher rates, make-up the majority of deaths in cities across the country, and as if that wasn’t enough, the Black unemployment rate is the highest it has been in 10 years. America has officially entered a recession.
We need a plan for Black communities that protects our families, provides access to the care we need, and builds new infrastructure to address the crises facing us.
In May, the U.S. Congress passed the HEROES Act, a 3 trillion dollar relief and recovery bill. It’s an important step in the right direction but it must be strengthened in order to achieve full relief and recovery for our communities. This is where our Covid-19 plan for Black America comes in. To make Black communities powerful during and after this crisis, we are calling on Congress to include and pass demands around the following key areas: the economy, healthcare, housing, and democracy rights.
To flatten the curve and level the playing field, Congress must adopt the following priorities immediately — Take action by signing our petition!
- Put cash directly into the hands of people
- Complete cancellation of student loan payments
- Priority for all Black owned small businesses in the next round of PPP (paycheck protection program)
- Free testing and coverage of Covid-19 treatments for everyone
- Increase testing sites in underserved and rural communities
- Mandatory race, gender, and class specific data collection
- Cancel rent, mortgages, and evictions + public utilities and internet costs
- Safe housing options for victims of domestic violence and at-risk family members of essential workers
- Protect our vote
- Fund and protect the US Postal Service
We can’t afford to wait any longer.
Tell Congress to adopt our demands NOW!
Thank you for signing the petition
Watch Now: Covid-19 Relief & Recovery Plan for Black America
Listen to our principal, Alicia Garza, share why she’s supporting the HEROES act, how our Covid-19 Relief and Recovery Plan for Black America can strengthen it, and how you can take action with us to support its passage.